Make your grass green with pop up sprinklers
Pop-up sprinklers are unique overhead sprinkler systems ideal for lawns, parks, golf courses and gardens of different sizes and dimensions. Pop-up sprinklers are considered to be the best irrigation system for lawns and gardens because they apply water uniformly.
Pop sprinklers in Kenya and why they are becoming popular
Pop up sprinklers in Kenya are becoming popular for irrigating lawns, gardens, foot ball pitches and parks because they save on time, labour and are highly efficient compared to other overhead irrigation methods. The fact that they can be automated cuts manual work by 50%, making them the best choice of irrigation system for lawns and gardens. Pop up sprinklers in Kenya by Grekkon Limited have all that you need to make your garden remain green.
How Pop Up Sprinklers Work
Pop up Sprinklers are built using raisers that are designed to ‘pop up’ to irrigate 2 to 12 inches above ground under high water pressure. Once the irrigation cycle is complete, decreasing water pressure causes the riser to retract back to its housing at ground level. A lawn mower cannot damage them in their retracted position because it is hidden beneath the ground.
Grekkon pop-up sprinklers come with a built in debris filter, and a robust gear drive which turns the sprinkler to the pre-defined arc or radius of spraying required. Sprinkler heads will pop up when clogged with debris or dirt. A leak in the water line can cause low water pressure and keep water from flowing to the sprinkler head, so it won’t pop up.
How to Install Pop Up Sprinklers
During installation, the sprinklers are spaced 25 feet apart for the larger ones that irrigate a radius beyond 16 feet diameter. For those sprinklers that do a smaller area they are spaced at 12-15 feet apart. Our most common heights are 2,3,4,6 and 12 inches. Most commonly used pipes for pop ups are HDPE Pipes and fittings, PVC or PPR pipes. The best pumps for pop up sprinklers are electric booster pumps. This is because they are easy to operate. They also sync well with timers. Water pumps such as petrol and diesel can also work but we do not recommend them.
Pop up Irrigation time and timers
On average, it will take 30 minutes to get a half inch of water. So, 20 minutes, three times per week will give a lawn about an inch of water. This formula works best with healthy and well drained soils. Irrigation timers may be installed on all pop up sprinkler systems to automatically switch off the system once the target watering time is achieved. A wet lawn at night predisposes the grass to fungal infection. Irrigate during the day and maintain the moisture level 6 inches below for proper lawn growth.
Pop up sprinklers irrigating crops
Apart from lawns and gardens, pop up sprinklers are increasingly becoming popular in irrigating crops. Unlike rain gun sprinklers which can cause soil erosion, pop up sprinklers apply water in a mist form which is friendlier for crops. Ideal crops to be irrigated using pop up sprinklers include cabbages, managus, spinach, kales etc
Price of Pop up Sprinklers in Kenya
The price of pop up sprinklers in Kenya range from Kes. 1, 200 to Kes. 7,500 depending on the model and size.
|1/2” Hunter PGJ
|3/4” Hunter PGP
|1/2” Rain Bird
Popular pop up sprinkler brands in Kenya
Hunter Pop Ups
Hunter Industries is a renowned manufacturer of pop ups for residential, commercial and golf irrigation. It is considered one of the largest irrigation companies in the world. Hunter brand is available in various models and sizes to suite your garden
Rain bird Pop Ups
It is one of the best irrigation brands in the world manufactured by Rain Bird Corporation. Pop up sprinklers from Rain Bird are available in various models and sizes to suite your requirements.
K-Rain Po Ups
This is one of the most popular pop up brands in Kenya manufactured by K-RAIN company.
Types of Pop Up Sprinklers
Pop up sprinkler heads are available in two types
1. Rotating Pop up Sprinklers
These types of sprinklers are used for applying water in large fields. They spray continuous streams of water to the ground. Rotating Pop up sprinklers can be adjusted to various angles depending on the location from 45 to 360 degrees. They can be set set to apply water in one angle leaving the remaining areas dry. Proper selection of these type of sprinklers is key for longevity. They spray from radiuses as low as 4m to as high as 21m with sizes from ½’’ to 2’’
2. Stationary Pop Up Sprinklers
These sprinklers spray water on fixed areas spraying water to radiuses up to 15m. They are basic sprinklers ideal for irrigating small lawns and gardens. Because of the small spraying radiuses, they are usually spaced close to each other to allow for overlap. They are available in ½’’, ¾’’ and 1’’
How to adjust pop up sprinkler heads
Adjusting the Distance of Spray
- Locate the adjustment screw. The adjustment screw is conveniently located at the top of the sprinkler head.
- Turn on the water valves and watch to see where the water falls. This will enable you know whether it needs to be adjusted or not
- In case it needs adjustments, turn the adjustment screw.
- Using a wrench or a screwdriver, rotate the screw – clockwise to increase distance and counter-clockwise to decrease distance. While turning the adjustment screw, be sure to do so in small increments until you reach the desired distance.
- To be certain that you’ve made the correct adjustments needed to water your lawn, you need to run your sprinkler system for a short while. You should also keep an eye on your garden in general to make sure that your pop up sprinkler systems reaches areas where water is needed most.
Adjusting the Angle of Spray
Does your pop-up sprinkler have an adjustable head? Here is the procedure.
- If your pop-up sprinkler has an adjustable head then you can easily adjust the spray angle. Usually these range anywhere from 30 degrees to 90, 180, 270 or 360 degrees. Just select the range and area you want to be covered and set it accordingly.
- If your pop-up sprinkler does not have an adjustable head then you’ll need to turn the entire body of the sprinkler to get the correct spray angle. If your pop up sprinklers are set in to the ground, dig around the pop-up heads with a shovel. Then turn the water on. Hold of the sprinkler body and rotate it until the water sprays at the angle you need it to. Be careful not to turn the sprinkler too much to avoid damaging the system underneath.
Where to buy pop sprinklers in Kenya
You can buy pop up sprinklers in Nairobi, Eldoret, Kisumu, Mombasa, Nyeri from Grekkon Limited outlets. Call or whatsApp +254711895635 for more