Various dam liner types for water harvesting & fish farming
There are several types of dam liners based on the materials used to manufacture them. The 3 main types of dam liners in Kenya are HDPE, PVC and LLDPE dam liners.
1. HDPE Dam liners
These are dam liners made from high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic. They are the most stable with excellent UV and weather resistance. It is strong and stiff and does not suffer sudden tensile forces. They are the most common geomembrane types in Kenya and are ideal for storing water for long term projects such as irrigation and community water supply.
Advantages of HDPE Dam liners
- They have good UV resistance thicknesses.
- Can be welded together.
- Safe for storing drinking water.
- Safe for fish farming
- Very durable. They can last between 15-35 years depending on the thickness
- Withstands harsh climatic conditions such as extreme sunlight and very low temperatures.
- They easily expand in high temperatures.
- Heavy weight makes it very expensive to transport.
- Slightly expensive compared to other dam liner types.
2. PVC Dam liners
PVC dam liners are made from polyvinyl chloride. It is soft and light . It is also very cheap and easy to install.
Advantages of PVC dam liners.
- Highly flexible compared to other dam liner types.
- Has excellent chemical resistance.
- Highly affordable
- Can easily be custom weld at the factory level.
- Has good lifespan of 10 years plus.
- Although it is UV treated, PVC dam liners are very weak against ozone, uv rays and weathering.
- It can easily be degraded due to its weak uv properties.
- Very susceptible to extreme temperatures.
3. LLDPE Dam liners
These are liner types made from low density polyethylene. Unlike their brothers HDPE, LLDPE dam liners are soft and flexible and easy to install.
Advantages of LLDPE dam liners
- They are very flexible and easier to work with than HDPE geomembranes
- Very easy to install unlike HDPE liners.
- Cheaper than HDPE
- Very safe of water storage and fish farming
- UV treated with a lifespan of over 10 years.
- They are very bulky which makes them very expensive to ship
- Weak UV resistance
- Its softness makes it susceptible to punctures and deformation.
Whether PVC, HDPE or LLDPE dam liners, Grekkon Limited team of experts is always ready to offer expertise on what liner type is the best.